Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Psych Eval

As I posted earlier, I have an appointment next month for a psych eval. I suspect I have bipolar disorder, my physician suspects I have bipolar disorder, and my son has bipolar disorder. Actually, I'm fairly certain I have it.

I was talking to my wife last night, once my employer becomes aware of this I may be limited career-wise. And my employer WILL know, as this is being paid for by insurance. No matter what anyone says, it comes out.

I'm concerned about this. Does anyone have any input on this? Things you may have done, or stories, positive or negative on this topic? If so, please leave a comment or drop me a line.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

It is against the law according the Americans with Disabilites Act for an employer to discrimminate against you if you are diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder.

Also, with the HIPPA laws your employer or your boss does not have the right to view your medical records unless it is a group benefits plan.

If you have a good relationship with your boss then explain the diagnosis, if you are given the BP diagnosis and make sure he/she understands the disorder.

I have lived with the disorder for 20 years. My current employer does not know that I have it and I have worked there for 1 1/2 years. I choose to not disclose the information. It has not affected promotions.

Best Wished,
RB