Monday, November 14, 2005

Good News

At least I hope it's good news.

Kyle (my 21 year old bipolar son) called my wife yesterday, and asked to come home. He said he stopped drinking, and would follow our rules. We of course, welcomed him home. He is job hunting, and asked not to do inpatient treatment. He said he'd do outpatient, or AA, or whatever else we asked, including psych treatment. We were excited to hear this.

But last night, I heard him yelling. I wasn't sure if it was inside or out, if he and his girlfriend were having a fight, if he was just manic, or what. But I'm worried he was drinking again. We'll have to look at that, if he was drinking he's out again.

I really hope he's found the motivation to turn it around.

But IMO, it's critical to get him in for psych treatment. He needs to find a med he can work with. I try to tell him if he finds the right med he won't feel like drinking all the time, and it won't affect him negatively like all the past meds have.

This has been cross posted to Bipolar Support and Living Bipolar (Living With A Purple Dog)

1 comments:

ninjapoodles said...

Here's hoping for you. I'd be a little nervous about the resistance for an inpatient program, but then again, the one that was finally successful for Alex was what they called "Intensive Outpatient." It was great, and included lots of family involvement as well as separate family groups and Al-Anon meetings. Very enlightening.

It sounds like Kyle might be "getting there,", and I pray that trend continues.

You are totally right about the vicious circle of med compliance and substance abuse. The meds can't work if you're using, so you'll decide the meds "don't work," or make you feel worse...it's awful and I feel for you.