Thursday, November 03, 2005

One Of Those Days

It's been a piece of shit day that's getting even worse.

First, a little background. I am training a team overseas, in one of those "technologically advanced" countries to do my team's job. Management keeps saying "don't worry, they're not taking your jobs". Bullshit. The last time we talked to the head honcho, he says something like "they're not taking our jobs - in the near future". So it's coming, it's just a matter of time. I won't be the first to go, but I will probably go at some point also. A year? Two? Who knows. I try to tell my team members to keep on their toes, and keep their resumes updated and their eyes and ears open. But they aren't. They're great people, do their jobs well, but can do nothing other than their jobs. I've been saying for years they need to expand, learn new languages and new technologies. But instead, they do their jobs on our proprietary system, and wait for the axe to fall.

But anyway, today, due to incompetence, I have to finish someone else's project. Along with a major release of a project I support. Along with a meeting on how our off-shore colleagues are adjusting. Well you know what? Fuck 'em.

Actually, I will suck it up, do the additional work, and screw up my personal life, all for the sake of a corporation that will spit me out in 2 years. I was hoping to go to a NAMI meeting with my wife tonight, but I won't make it now with the additional load I have.

Fucking piece of shit week. My head is pounding, my concentration is shit, I'm getting overwhelmed by stuff that should be simple.

The tide has turned - I'm in a slide. Gotta stop this before it lands me in a depression.

0 comments: