Monday, December 26, 2005

Harvey

Remember that James Stewart movie, "Harvey"? About that mild mannered, well liked man who had an imaginary rabbit as his friend. At least we assume he was imaginary, because nobody else could see him. Somebody had a shot he could take that would make him "normal". Should he do it? Conform to society, and accept the responsibilities of an adult in that society? I was left with a deep sadness at the thought of this charming person forever changing.

Is there a divine reason for those of us with bipolar? A reason a certain percentage of the population is bipolar? Are we blessed with this, or are we mutants? If I put myself, with my obsessions and drive to succeed at my chosen obsession, into a less advanced society what would I be? I don't have a good attention span, unless it's my obsession, then I have intense, unwavering focus. I don't take orders well, and am somewhat of a loner. I need very little sleep (of course), and have an endless supply of energy for my obsession. Farmer? Hunter? Soldier?

Should we be looking at our "disorders" and tailoring our professions and lives around our "strengths" or "disorders"? Isn't this what they would have done in an older society? Rather than pound our square selves into round holes, why not work with us at things that would fit our personalities?

Perhaps in that older society we would have been the crazy guys that lived on the streets and screamed obscenities at those who passed by? Madness is a fine line...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought evoking

Is there a divine reason for those of us with bipolar?
Ask a Christian or a Buddhist, you'll get a different response. I'd say in as much as there's a divine reason for everything.

A reason a certain percentage of the population is bipolar?
Ask a psychiatrist, or someone who studies genomes. Maybe they will isolate the specific gene
that causes it.
Are we blessed with this, or are we mutants?
Both. Maybe the others are mutants.
I need very little sleep (of course), and have an endless supply of energy for my obsession.
My friend's husband is obsessive about his work
He is a molecular scientist, His obsession could
find a cure for cancer
.
Speaking of obsession, I've been on the computer for 5 hours - I promised I'd be off by 3am its now 5am. I think obsession can be put to productive use if it's channeled in a positive direction". For met that is writing, researching,
songwritig, etc. The bad part is when I obsess
in my head, or "ruminate" about something someone said, or some aspect of my life that's broken that
I haven't been able to fix.


why not work with us at things that would fit our personalities?
Exactly. Find your cause, passion, etc. and give it your all. But remember, you, we do hope to create
a balance, as anyone should.

Perhaps in that older society we would have been the crazy guys that lived on the streets and screamed obscenities at those who passed by?
That's not from older society. I live in a neighbor hood with lots of homeless drug addicts, mental patients, and often have obscenities directed at me.
On the other hand, I've also gotten to know the homeless people on my street.


One night as I was coming home from a late night job I was crying and talking aloud . . . a homeless
guy waking behing me asked me , "are you allright?"
I ended up talking with him for about an hour,
and I asked him, "now honestly, did you think I was
a crazy person when you heard/saw me?"
He said, well yeah. We had a great talk and he gave me alot of insight and emotional support
Crazy world we live in.

Jon said...

Great insight. Thanks for posting that.